HC-123 US Coast Guard airplane model. The Coast Guard acquired the first of eight C-123Bs from the USAF in June of 1958 for use as logistical transports in support of the expansion and installation of the LORAN C network and other isolated installations. These installations were situated around the globe, many of which were in remote locations. The aircraft operated from Coast Guard Air Stations located at ,Miami, Florida, Puerto Rico, Barbers Point, Hawaii, Guam, Kodiak, Alaska, and Naples, Italy. They were distinguished from other C-123s by the Coast Guard color scheme and the large nose-mounted APN-158 radar. As a secondary mission they were also utilized for search and rescue.
The last of the aircraft were retired from Coast Guard service in 1972.