F-84F ThunderstreakItem Number: 1155
The swept-wing Republic F-84F evolved from the straight-wing F-84. The prototype first flew on June 3, 1950 and deliveries began in 1954, primarily to the Tactical Air Command as a ground support fighter bomber. Republic built 2,112 "-F"s while General Motors fabricated an additional 599. Of these, 1,301 were delivered to NATO air forces. Production of a reconnaissance version, the RF-84F, totaled 715 aircraft, including 386 for allied countries. The RF-84F featured engine air intakes at the wing roots plus cameras in the nose. F-84Fs gradually were replaced by supersonic F-100s in the late 1950s and were turned over to Air National Guard units. However, some F-84Fs were called back to temporary USAF service in the early 1960s due to the Berlin Crisis.
Mahogany Wood. Scale: 1/32. Wingspan 12 7/8 inches, Length 16 3/8 inches.